Sunday, February 1, 2009

bob loblaw's law blog (blogpost#2)

OK, probably anyone who has ever watched Arrested Development will recognize the title to this blog entry.  (sidenote: am I supposed to cite that?!)  I really only chose it because I'm still coming to terms with blogging.  I feel like I'm talking for the sake of talking, and to my ears, it comes across as "blah blah blah blah blah."  That being said... I've only posted once so far, so my insight may not be fully justified.

I see why blogging can be useful and important.  Obviously, it is a form of communication.  My feeling is that blogging is part of, or a result of, the general public's access to continually advancing technology... it is a place to express oneself, debate with others, or inform the masses about any particular thing.   How does one discern which information is important or useful and which is excessive nonsense?  What if I blogged: "elephant toothpick roller skate truck" 477 times?  Some search engine would inevitably log that entry.  And if by chance, someone were to be looking for a toothpick holder shaped like an elephant, undoubtedly, somewhere within the results, my useless blog would turn up.  

I think that is relevant to today's libraries.  People are in search of information.  I work a reference desk right now... I try to find information.  Excessive nonsense affects the efficiency of my work.  Obviously, technology is not solely to blame for this, but how do we control the use of technology to keep our work accurate and efficient?  Technology has the reputation of making our job easier, and it does.. to some extent.  However, can something be easier and also be less efficient?  

Maybe this will be my last skeptical look at technology... I might be giving myself a bad reputation.  Another sidenote: I found it funny that my computer's automatic spellcheck did not underline "blogged."  I know that it has become a part of everyday vocabulary, but I wonder how long it took.  I checked the word "texting."  Still underlined in red... I'll check back.

7 comments:

  1. It's ok to be skeptical of technology! You have a good point about how technology can some times slow things up and make it seem like we're being inefficient. It's a win-lose situation, though, and personally I think we win more with technology. Example: I'd so much rather look things up on an OPAC than with a card catalog! Even if the OPAC is some times inefficient. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend will definitely be directed to your blog if you decide to test your theory and post "elephant toothpick roller skate truck" 477 times. She is an absolute nut about elephants and might even have 477 in her home in one form or another.

    This comment doesn't really have much to do with Library Systems or use of technology other than to demonstrate the occassional blah, blah, blah posting. Sorry about that, but I couldn't resist mentioning my friend when the topic of elephants came up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops. Here you go.

    http://appellatedecisions.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blogs are an interesting way for some people to connect and maintain friendships over long distances. There are just some things that never come up or that you'll not have the chance to talk about during an online conversation, and blogging about these things are a good way to discuss these things, such as a newfound love of elephant shaped toothpicks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you ever read Wendell Berry's piece on why he won't buy a computer? You might find it interesting.

    ReplyDelete