Monday, February 16, 2009

i swear i don't hate technology, but here's my two cents about chacha (blogpost#3)

Besides searching online catalogs, my most common interaction with technology at the library occurs with ChaCha.  Through some sort of contract, IU has a deal with ChaCha where IU related questions are fielded through the libraries here, and at Bloomington.  We at the reference desk have essentially become ChaCha guides.  I work both for University Library and for Herron Art Library.  I've only received one question during my shift at UL... about an IU basketball game, I believe.  However, at Herron, it is a whole different story.  Within the past 2 weeks, I've seen questions about who would win in a fight between Superman and Spiderman, how to make paper claws for your fingers, how much weight the world's strongest toothpick bridge could hold, how to tattoo yourself with a toothbrush, how to time travel, etc.  I'm not sure why I've received those questions... they definitely aren't about IU.

I've been disappointed with the results of this partnership between IU and ChaCha.  Maybe others have, too.  Recently, they've come up with a way to test the system by having students sign up and send questions to ChaCha, putting "IU" before their question so that an IU library would definitely be the guide.  The test is still ongoing, but I've noticed no difference in the type or amount of questions received.  

I'm curious what others think about ChaCha and its place in a library.  When libraries already offer a chat service, phone service, face-to-face service, email service, is ChaCha really necessary?  Is it opening the market to a new audience?  I doubt it.  Especially when we are bound by a 160 character answer (which btw, disappears quicker than you would think), how can we offer the level of service that we need to provide?

8 comments:

  1. Wow, how do you tell someone how to travel back in time in less that 160 characters? Even if you knew how to travel back in time, I doubt that you could convey something so complex with only a limited number of characters. Not too mention the absence of any sort of possibility for a reference interview. To me it is also a big distraction. And as we have discussed the answers are mostly wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a fan of Cha-Cha. I think the usual chat system employed at libraries is good enough. We use Question Point here at Purdue and patrons seem to like it. I am curious though, how did you answer the question about "spiderman vs. superman?" That reminds me of a story my boss was telling me. When he first started training on a chat system during grad school, he had an elementary school kid ask "Is the T-Rex a good guy or a bad guy?" He had no idea how to really answer it considering how complex the question truly was!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, thankfully ChaCha lets you decline to answer questions... I'm assuming it just goes to the next guide. However, I was told yesterday (after the question came) that you can go to www.googlefight.com and have 2 keywords "fight" each other. I just made Superman and Spiderman fight each other. Apparently, Superman wins because he has 11,000,000 more results on Google than Spiderman. Very interesting.

    I think a chat system is easier to use because at least one can create a conversation. With ChaCha, there is a "customer clarify" button... but chances are, the question won't come back to you... some other guide will have to answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see the benefit of ChaCha for super quick reference questions like "What time is the game tonight?" However, that's assuming you're a poor person like me who only has text capability and not web capability on your cell phone. If someone has Internet access on the phone, there's absolutely no reason for it. And any more in-depth questions--like the ones you've been getting at Herron--are way better suited for a real chat, in-person reference, or email reference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've used ChaCha quite a few times on my phone when I'm trying to figure out a song name or other thing. I wonder if ChaCha has given money to IU and that's how this partnership came about? If there is already a chat feature, I don't necessarily see the point, especially if you're getting all those questions that have nothing to do with IU.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard that the creator of ChaCha is an IU grad, so it may have something to do with that. I also think IU libraries were supposed to get the $.10/answer. However, I just heard this morning that by Thursday, we aren't participating anymore... I wonder if they felt the whole thing was unsuccessful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will keep my opinions about Chacha to myself other than to say that I keep meaning to test it from my cell phone, which is what it is really intended for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i was so thrilled when chacha went belly up, or at least, we didn't have to worry about it any more at the ref desk. i thought it was a good idea, but not something that lends its self very well to the academic library realm. I'm not even so sure that it lends itself to the public library realm, either. I've said it before and I'll say it again, ChaCha is "cute." Its the type of thing one might use (maybe) if you're out for with friends and a debate arises like "Who won the Home Run title in 1978?" text that. that's fine, but like the IrishLibrarian said above, why use that when one of your friends or maybe even you has internet access available on your phone? *shrugs* whatever.

    oh, in case you were wondering: Jim Rice of the Boston Red Sox was the HR Champ in 1978 (as well as 1977). Source: Wikipedia...

    don't kill me ;)

    ReplyDelete